Surgical Update !!!
Hi everyone, its been awhile since our last post..but we haven't been travelling, so have had no news to post..and our days have been fairly humdrum so the daily churn isn't worth sharing...actually its been quite boring...the autumn weather is upon us..and it is too chilly now to travel in this area. The only travelling we now want to do is 'south bound'...but it is not looking like that is going to happen in the near future if at all :(..
We just returned from our consultation with the surgeon. As most of you know Rick has a hernia..not a major health issue but major enough to not permit us to cross the border from Canada. If we do and if it strangulates it will require immediate emergency surgery, then our blue cross and travel insurance will 'not' cover us because it is now considered a pre existing condition. He went in as the patient and I went in as the begger. "We have a new motorhome, just retired and want to go south for 6 months". The surgeon did recognize us (he had previously performed my 2 surgeries)...but should we chance it, he cannot lie concerning the pre-existing status-nor would we ever expect him to. He did agree that it is now considered pre existing.
Anyone from Canada knows how our health care system 'sucks'....we may have government funded medical coverage but we do 'pay' thru the nose for it. We pay 15% taxes on everything we purchase-everything!! And we still have to carry Blue Cross insurance with monthly premiums. Is it worth the risk to still go? Definitely not..the risk outweighs the benefits. For instance-before retirement we traveled to Florida a couple of years ago for client meetings. I tripped in the hotel on our 3 or 4th day there and broke my foot..after a visit to the emergency room, xrays and a 1/2 slab cast we were taken care of and on our way. Upon our return back to Canada they inadvertently sent us the bill for our 3.5 hour visit, and treatment. They had our medical ID #s incorrect and Blue Cross of course refused to pay the bill. The cost of the invoice was almost $6,000.00. So I can only imagine, what the cost of emergency surgery would be! As a foot note Blue Cross did pay the bill once we got the ID#s straightened out.
Are we heart sick? Yes to say the least..they have put us on the cancellation list~but I find it hard to pray for that to happen fast. Because around here someone would have to pass away to get their appointment-and I sure won't pray for that. People just do not cancel surgery here in Canada because they have waited so long on the waiting list to have it performed.
Rick's medical problem is not life threatening, like cancer etc. and we are willing to travel to Sackville NB to have the surgery...this is another hospital where our surgeon can attain OR time at. Its only about an hour from here and Rick is a candidate to go there, where he is not over weight, is healthy and active, and it would be just a day surgery barring no complications. If he was to have it performed here locally the wait time would be over 2 years.
He will go off of his aspirin now just in case-because the nurse stated that sometimes if there is a cancellation you will only receive maybe a days notice. We stated we would take an hours notice and provided her with all of our contact numbers. I will pray hard for a cancellation but not due to the death of someone- but if they had a minor cold or low grade temperature and couldn't go to the OR that day I could live with that.
So onward and upward. We will empty and winterize the motorhome for storage, but we will store it right here on our property so that we will have easy access to it. I can soon load it up quick enough to pull out. There is a 4-6 week recovery period he told us..but he also said as long as we hang around for a week to 10 days to ensure there are no complications or infection he would be happy with that. I do know how to hook the car to the blue ox system and unhook it..drive and gas the coach..and dump all the tanks..and I can definitely do whatever lifting and lugging is required. I do drive the coach but I'm not sure if I would want to be the soul driver responsible for getting us all the way.
We will do what we have to do and that is take 'one day at a time'...life often throws you a curve and you have to put one foot in front of the other and walk through it. Its just disappointing that we retired, traded our other coach for this one, completed all our renos all in anticipation of heading out for six months, for the first big retirement voyage.
Until we can leave, we will live and travel vicariously through all of you and your blogs. I will update when we have more news.
Take care all, stay safe
"Home is Where you Park it"